An EULA is a legal contract between the author or publisher of a software program / mobile application and the user of such application. The EULA is crucial document relating to intellectual property rights associated with the software and the computer program and it is generally executed digitally wherein the users are required to click-through and accept the terms of the software license agreement. Various provisions of the license agreement are drafted to ensure the source code and other aspects of the software / computer program are not copied and / or reverse engineered by the users illegally, which may amount to intellectual property rights infringement of the author / publisher / owner of the software program.
Drafting End User License Agreement – EULA
Generally, a software license agreement is termed as EULA or End User License Agreement. EULA is aimed at defining the relationship between the software company and its customers or clients that primarily govern the rights and usage associated with the software purchased by the clients from the software development company.
Types of Software License Agreements
Various types of software license agreements include:
- Singe User Software License Agreement
- Multi User Software License Agreement
- Local Reseller Software License Agreement
- International Reseller Software License Agreement
- Enterprise Software License Agreement
- Non-profit Software License Agreement
Content of EULA includes important legal provisions, such as, for example, but not limited to:
- General Information of Parties
- Software License Details – Term, Duration, Date etc.
- Price of Software License
- Ownership of Software Code
- Intellectual Property Rights and Copyright Ownership
- Prevention of Software Abuse
- Prevention of Copying, Modification, Redistribution and Reselling of Software
- Definition of Software License, which may not amount to selling of software ownership
- Legal Disclaimers and Warranties
- Limitation of Liability
- Right to Terminate Software License
- Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Software License
- Non transferable license
- Breach of terms and termination provision
- Governing Laws and Jurisdictions
- Technical and Customer Support
- Software Restriction Clauses
- Contact Information
- How are software patents granted in India?
- Does Indian patent law allow software patents?
- How to apply for software patent in India?
- How to patent a software in India?
- How to patent a mobile application in India?
- What are the examples of software patents in India?
- What is a Provisional Patent Application?
- What are advantages of Filing a Provisional Patent Application?
- How can Patent Search help in determining Patentability of Invention?
- What is the meaning of Patent Pending Status?